McChrrystal to retire, thoughts

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who was fired last week as the top U.S. general in the stalemated Afghanistan war, told the Army on Monday that he will retire.

Army spokesman Col. Tom Collins said McChrystal, 55, notified the service of his plans, but he has not yet submitted formal retirement papers. It is not clear when he will leave the service, but the process usually take a few months.

In announcing McChrystal's ouster on Wednesday, President Barack Obama praised his long Army career but said his intemperate remarks in a magazine article that appeared last week could not be abided.

McChrystal apologized for the remarks in Rolling Stone magazine and flew to Washington last week to resign as commanding general of the war.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• he's lucky he's not being court-martialed.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This whole story is SO strange to me! I guess thats what he needed to do but I am SO curious as to what made a career, hard lined, military man lose his mind like this! I mean he is no newbie! He knew better! So strange.

*by the way you apparently get the ability to vote down at level 10.......I dont know that I care for that...hmmmm

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Personally, I think what McChrystal did was a calculated move on his part. Seriously, this man is NOT and idiot, and he's not a newbie. I feel he was trying to get a message out to the American people, to say what was on his mind, and he did so, knowing what the consequences would be. I feel that he weighed it out, and decided that's what he--and his aides--would do. From my understanding, he actually had an opportunity to review the article before it went to press, and he approved what was in there. There's just no possible way that he didn't understand and accept the ramifications of this, and thought it was worth it to get the word out. That's just my opinion, but to me, it really is the only explanation that makes any sense.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have only one thought.

WHO in the hell reads Rolling Stone??

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'll agree to that Auto 100%! Had it been a lower rank he would have! I think he only got to save face cause he's a general in charge of a main AO.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 7:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• WHO in the hell reads Rolling Stone??

Hipsters, so they can make sure they stop wearing/smoking/listening/watching things that get too trendy before anyone catches them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh, and I totally cancelled my Rolling Stone subscription years ago...I wanted music, they gave me slanted articles meant to brainwash the unsuspecting.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I very rarely agree with sweet-a-kins but I agree with this!

Me too...seriously he has been through it...and he is no stranger to controversy since the Pat Tillman debacle...I TOTALLY think he WANTED OUT...and this was the quickest way OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST!!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• His book should be interesting.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've not made up my mind yet about why this whole thing went down the way it did, but I figured after he was ousted he would ROAD.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010