Are you opposed to term limits?

What if it were you, or your DH, or your family member in a political seat?
Would you support term limits if it were your term being discussed/limited and you honestly felt you were helping your constituents.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 6:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I support term limits completely! When this kind of government that we have began, the Congress met to do what they needed to do, and then went back home. They served with NO pay, and those who served felt it was an honor. Nowadays, being a Congressman has morphed into an entitlement program every bit as big as any welfare program, just without the stigma of being on PA.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't oppose them in theory, but limits alone would not fix the problem. Instead of having the same ancient relic there for 50 years, you'd have a succession of puppets of the ancient relic, groomed by him, financed by his backers, rotating in and out of office to do as he tells them to do (in other words - same thing we already have, just with more middle management). Term limits + serious campaign finance reform, that could make a difference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do and I don't. I think there should be a certain number of terms that are allowed, but I don't think it should be limited to two. While I think that a lot of politicians make a career out of their positions, I also think that putting strict limits on terms will encourage them to make risky votes that aren't always in their constituency's best interest, part of toeing the party line. I hope that makes sense.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I totally support Term Limits. I do NOT believe that things were meant to run this way. Crappy people keep getting voted BACK in because of the power they obtain.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I favor term limits, but what exactly is the limit? I spoke to a gentleman running for Congress in NC, Lt. Col. Bill Russell (R). I discussed term limits. His argument against was the ability for a representative to get programs researched, bills written, and issues through committees before the term was done. I countered with the limit of say - 3 terms (18 years). He was still not sure about putting a limit. But, 18 years, or 20 if we recalculate, is a career. I also think that you should be done at age 72. There are a lot of sharp elderly out there. I wish they were in office instead of some of our older citizens (Nancy Pelosi comes to mind at 70 yo.) Bottom line, I think there is room for serious discussion about term limits.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 100% for it. No matter who it is, my family or not. The longer they are in, the more corrupt they become and the more out of touch with REAL LIFE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yep. No matter what.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, except for president.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I completely believe in term limits no matter who it is. One can only help so much if they out of touch with what's going on on the working man's level.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with NP.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010