Local debate spans a good question... Native burial ground now being used as industrial land...

...Indian mound is considered a historic site and the oldest Indian burial ground in western Pennsylvania, dating back thousands of years, but much of the site is now used for heavy industry...

...A century ago, archaeologists removed the remains of 33 members of the Adena and Hopewell tribes. They were briefly displayed at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History... remains were packed up and moved to a warehouse...

"Would anyone want their grandfathers or great-grandfathers to be put in cardboard boxes in a warehouse when they were properly buried to begin with?"

(I'll post the link below!)

Question here: how do you feel about native burial sites being moved or bodies being warehoused so that industry can take over the site? How would you feel if it were your average grave site, would that be different?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i dont think that is right that is very disrespectful wether it be a regular grave site or a historic indian site..
    Ali84Shorty

Answer by Ali84Shorty at 6:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This is terrible! It's disrespectful and defiles a sacred site. This is the reason I hate most people and companies. They only care about money. They don't care about respecting others at all.

And I say the same for your average grave site! I wouldn't want anyone disturbing my great grandparents!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Actually, Im generally sympathetic to Native Americans. I think this is SO disrespectful. Death has a very sacred meaning to the NA.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sad part is they are within their rights according to Federal Guidelines... And there are still members of this tribe alive locally... Those local members as well as the "Mound Society" is fighting to have the removed bodies reburied, but it would be in a different area.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This is why I plan to be cremated.  Even current cemeteries run the risk of one day being excavated and having graves removed in order to make room for industrial expansion.  I don't know that the dead people care. They're dead. The ancestors well most aren't aware of any particular set of bones belonging to a family.  At least with the museum the bones are being cared for when they could have just been discarded or left to break and shatter as industry went up.  They are no worse off in a cardboard box in a museum's warehouse than they were if the graves were left undisturbed.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ummm...have they not seen the movie Poltergeist, or Pet Semetary? Indian burial grounds are not something to mess with, lol!!! No, but seriously, I don't think that any burial ground should be messed with. That is extremely disrespectful to both the dead and the living.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I will say I find it interesting so many are "up in arms" about the native American burial site but don't blink when say an egyptian burial site is excavated(and I'm not talking about just those of the pharoahs in pyramids but the general population). Or teh gladiator burial site that was recently found. Death has a sacred meaning among many cultures so I guess I just don't understand the controversy behind one being wrong to "unearth and move' but others it's okay. I mean how many of us think it's cool to go see a mummy? Well they're stored in warehouses in boxes too.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This is why I plan to be cremated.

This. For lack of a better word, it's just plain rude, regardless of who is buried there. They should go tear up some golf courses instead.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Damn that's pretty messed. I thought they weren't allowed to do that??

Personally while I respect burial grounds, the dead, and love cemeteries, I think they are a giant waste of land. I wonder how people would react if this were a 100 year-old Christian cemetery? And find it completely disgusting that the reaction would be different in many...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010