Is your toddler a monster?

My 16 month old baby girl has turned into a monster within a week and was wondering if any of you have experienced the same change. Yes, she is teething and I know they get grumpy when this happens this is just new for me since my first kid didn't go through this. She's constantly screaming if she doesn't get her way, she kicks, throws tantrums, wakes up at 3 am crying and then wants to play, she throws her food everywhere, constantly wants to be held and then you pick her up and she wants down...argh! She's just constantly grumpy and crying and I don't know how to make it better. My mom says " this is the one that's going to give me a hard time in life"...

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 4 yrs young natalie has been acting like this and than some! Since she was two still trying to figure her out :( GL
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 7:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am sorry to say. But a little discipline.

Answer by louise2 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sometimes, but I stay on top of her!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My dd did that. It's hard to curve but consistency is your friend when dealing with toddlers.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 7:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's a stage. My daughter went through that stage, now at almost 3 she is at the no mom I'll do it and go away stage. At that age they start testing their boundaries to see just what they can and can't get away with. Some people call it the terrible twos (though I wouldn't call it that) but during the toddler stage it starts anywhere from a 1 to about 3-4. For most it starts around 14-24 weeks. Also, at that age they can't always tell you what they want. Just as you don't know what they want, they don't know how to tell you what they want. Frustration, fatigue, these can lead to temper tantrums in children. It happens fast without warning, just like your children growing fast happens fast and without warning. I know it seems like you will never get passed this stage, but it really does go quick. Now I have a child almost a year. He's already getting to where he'll throw himself on the floor when he gets mad.
    lovinmyair

Answer by lovinmyair at 7:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my two year old acts the same way.. there is not much you can do other than discipline her for lashing out when she gets physical and act like the rest doesnt phase you.. and when you have both taken the time to calm down.. sit with her and tell her it hurts your feelings when she acts like that.. but trying to get your point across while she is tantruming and your upset will do nothing but worsen the situation.. i go to a young parenting class and that is the advice they gave me.. it seems to have curved the tantrums some what, i hope the advice helps you as well.. with the rest of it you just have to grin your teeth and breath trought it lol
    mummylove17427

Answer by mummylove17427 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks moms. It's hard to discipline a toddler who's not even a year and a half it's like they don't get it. But, I do appreciate the advice, I will especially follow mummylove's advice...that's something I haven't tried and it sounds like a good lesson to practice.
    Orchid7

Comment by Orchid7 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010