10 month old throwing tantrums?

my son is 9, almost 10 months old, he has been walking for almost 3 months now. he can talk, say things like, more, yes, no, hi, bye, that kind of thing, and recently for the past 3 weeks or so, has been throwing temper tantrums, like, he will go for somthing he has been told a million times not to touch, like an outlit, and I will say, "no, no, coley, and he will look at me, smile, and keep going at it, so than, I'll get stern, "no,no!" and he will stop and stare at me, with a grumpy face, than go back for it. third try, I yell, "NO NO!" and remove him, he will start SCREAMING HIS FACE OFF, smacking me, yelling, NO in my face... or I'll grab his hand and try to walk him away from it, and he will throw himself on the ground, rip his hand out of mine, and start screaming and kicking and clawing his own face. Im at a loss, he see's a development coach once a week, to check for symptoms of late development

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 7:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CONTINUED
    Test for things like autism, thats her job, its a 5 year program, and he tracks his development, I also have been going to parenting classes since pregnancy, because I am a young single mother, and I could use all the advice I get. I called his doctor today, and he said just to ignore it, and be stern, and while I agree with that advice I feel he may be pushing me off not believing my story, or thinking Im am just a young mother with little patients, and making the problem seem worse than it is, but I'm not. he is doing things that his 2 year old cousin does. please help me, I need advice, or maybe and insite on why he is behaving the way he is. does anyone hvae ideas, or simular thigs happening to them, and there children?
    JnCV

Comment by JnCV (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Try avoiding the word no. Say, "That's dangerous." or "That's not yours" followed by, "here have this (toy)." or "let's play over here." Or even aknowledging that, "I know that looks like fun, isn't that pretty. let's look together, but not touch" Or something other than a negative.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd suggest that you try redirecting him the FIRST time that you tell him no, and not waiting until you raise your voice (that way you don't get to the step where you raise your voice). That may make a big difference.
    My Lo will often arch her back and scream if I remove her from something she wants to do (she's now 12 mo, but this started a few months ago). I just stay calm, and move her, talking in a soft voice "You can't play with that. Let's look at these blocks over here" etc.
    Often the more you escalate (yell etc) the more the child will escalate.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Anytime a toddler is behaving particularly badly think "F"....fatigue and food. Is he sleeping well? At 10 mo. he should be sleeping at least 10-12 hrs at night and having at least one two hour nap or two 1-2 hour naps during the day. If not, try working on his sleeping first. Then think hunger - did he eat well today...is he on a regular eating pattern? At 10 mo. he should be having three meals a day and two snacks plus formula/breastmilk. If food and fatigue are taken care of, then it is all about you're reaction. At 10 mo., discipline is little more than re-direction. If you REALLY don't want him touching something, then it shouldn't be on his level....end of story. It is good to have some things around that are off limits though...because it is good to practice what no means, but he is too young to be expected to following any type of direction (i.e. when you say no). You're much better off removing him from the
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• situation.
    ANGIE409

• Amileegirl is right too about trying to keep things positive. He could very well be feeding off of your attitude. If you yell, he'll yell (and that will only get worse as he gets older...I can't tell you how many times I hear my words come out of my toddler's mouth and think "yikes...wish I hadn't have said that!"
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010