Do you keep checking on your toddler who went to bed w/ a fever?

I am a first time mommy and my DS is running a 101 temp. Gave him some fever reducer and he went right to sleep but should I keep checking on him all night or will he wake if the fever does not brake? Thanks Ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I did. I would touch his forehead with my lips and could tell about how high a fever he had.

Answer by Bmat at 7:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• whatever you are comfertable with but I always checked on my kids when they had fevers until it broke. But you do have to remember when you take a temp right after they wake up it is going to be a tad higher than normal
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I check on my kids a lot when they are sick.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 7:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i always checked on mine....if they were really sick i would have trouble sleeping myself. and sometimes i would make a pallet on the floor in their room and sleep in their room so i could here any new noise or be right there when they woke up crying......
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do, and sometimes if it was really bad (my son has ran 105.0 before) I would set the alarm to wake me up to rotate doses of tylenol and motrin...to keep them comfortable and rest.

But in reality, if it gets much higher, he will wake up screaming and you will know.

If it does go up really high, a lukewarm almost cool bath will lower it quicker and better than anything. Give a quick dose of meds, and put him in, use a cup to pour the water over his head.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, if I gave him something before bed to make him comfortable (usually motrin) then I let him sleep and try not to bother him because he needs his rest. A fever won't hurt them.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i do i wouldnt be able to sleep not even a minute
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 7:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yeah, I do. They sell these forehead thermometer strips at like Walkgreens or CVS. I buy those and I sneak in thier room while they are sleeping and place the strip on thier forehead and check thier temp without even waking them up.
    Hope your little one feels better soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I usually don't. They need the sleep when they are sick. If they aren't bothered enough to wake up, then the medicine is doing what it is supposed to do. If my kids are sick enough to need more medicine, they usually are waking up throughout the night.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well, remember that a fever is usually at its highest at night. 101 actually isn't too high - especially for a baby...so i wouldn't freak out too bad. You'll want to check on him though - just don't get too worked up over it. When my little boy has a bad fever, I usually bring him in bed with me, but if you don't want to do that, maybe you could make other arrangements in your house so you can sleep close to him so you don't wear yourself out getting all the way out of bed every 5 minutes. Don't wake him up though...just feel his forehead lightly - you'll be able to tell if he's a lot hotter than when he went to sleep.

My doctor said that it's important not to let them get overheated when they have a fever, so dress him in something like a light long sleeve onesie and some sweat pants (assuming you have A/C in your house). Don't worry too much, mama! Call the doctor in the morning. :)
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010