How did you teach your toddler to use a mouse?

I bought her a sesame street game. I have tried to explain how the mouse works but I think I over explain things.

Meladori_Magpie

Asked by Meladori_Magpie at 7:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just tell her you put your hand on it to move the arrow, and you click the button to make it work. It took DS a little while to figure it out when he was 2, he was much better using the touch pad on my laptop. Just let her mess with it with a little guidance i'm sure she'll figure it out
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 7:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The best way is to show her the cursor, and show her that as you move the mouse that the cursor moves, and then have her hold the mouse and move the cursor. Doing is a good way to learn.

Answer by Bmat at 7:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I just showed my DD. I guided her hand with it. She took to it very quickly. However, she is 3.5 years old too.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Let him play with it and showed him the arrow moving when he moved his hand. He did better with the keyboard than the mouse until he was about 3, though - we had other games you could control with the arrows and spacebar instead of the mouse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My dd got it when I showed her in two steps. First I showed her how to move the mouse to make the cursor move, then I showed her how to click the button. Learning to click without moving the mouse off the thing she wanted to push was the hard part! It was actually easier for my daughter to use the touch pad on the laptop than it was the mouse too.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010