Torticollis??

Anyone's child had this? My 6 month old DD was at the doctor's today and they said she had it...she favors tilting her head slightly to the right. Her doctor wants her to see a physical therapist so they can work on stretching out her neck muscles out. Her doctor didn't seem like it was anything too serious, and it's only very slight. But now I'm all paranoid about it.

sarahbell811

Asked by sarahbell811 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep my son has the same thing, he tilts his head very slightly to the right also. We didn't notice until he was about 8 months, hes now almost 1. It hasn't seem to effect his motor development or eyesight, and he can turn his head to the left and right just fine. He has been seeing a physical therapist for it. Its still there but we noticed improvement, like his head seems to be straight more often but we will still notice him tilting it to the right every now and then. But Im sorta worried that is not ever going to completely go away though. All through out the day I'll work on the stretches, massages, and techniques the physical therapist showed me to but I feel like its as good as its going to get. Its been a couple months now and we haven't seen anymore improvement. They say its much harder to correct when the baby is older. His doctor and his physical therapist don't seem to concerned about it but It still worries me.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son's head tilted to one side when he was a baby and we had to stretch his neck everytime we changed his diaper. It freaked me out at first, but it did not hurt him and we were able to get the muscle to normal and correct the problem. He was younger than your child, though, when they caught the problem. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I know several children who have had it. A physical therapist is the right way to go, in my opinion. If it continues, it could be bad for her sight: her eye muscles would get used to seeing in a certain line, and her vision may need correction (glasses) if that happens.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son tilted his head to the left for a while but the doc said it wasnt torticollis it was just the way he carried it. He quit by 4 months. My friends son was born with torticollis and he went thru physical therepy from birth to 11 months. Hes almost 12 months now and hes fine.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010