What are some things I can do at home to help with my 6 year old's speech?

My 6 year old stepson is going to be entering 1st grade and will be taking speech therapy for articulation issues with /l/ sounds. But there's an issue that wasn't addressed, and it's the way he pronounces certain vowel sounds with /r/. For example, "car" is "co-ah", "girl" is "gwull", "park" is "po-ak", "guitar" is "gui-twah" etc. He can say /r/ at the beginning of words sometimes, but tends to say "wun" (run), "wace" (race) most times. Are there any exercises I can do with him over the summer at home to help him out? I'm working with him with his /l/ sounds, and he's improving slightly, but I can't get him to make the "ar" sound in "art" (it's oh-wah-t) for the life of me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• this site has some tips.. sorry i dont have any personal suggestions.

http://www.speechtherapyweb.com/
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I had some speech trouble as a child. Watch how he is using his tongue when talking. Talk and show him how to use his tongue. Repeat and have him repeat as much as possible. I had major problem with R's and S's. I can remember sitting there at about 8 thinking I am never going to get this. The speech teacher did the same thing over and over and over. Also try a reward system that might get him a little more excited to get on board. Try a treasure hunt with things around the house that have the sounds he is having trouble with. Take advantage of being out in the neighborhood to point out things with those sounds as well as stores anywhere really Good luck he will be speaking clearer in no time
    mommie83

Answer by mommie83 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• To expand on the earlier post about watching his tongue when he talks. Show him where your tongue is when you say and R sound and then have him watch himself in a mirror to get it right. When school starts back up in the fall, make sure you speak with the speech therapist about the R issue as well as the V. They may tell you that it's a developmental thing, but they told my sister the same thing about my niece and now she's a 3rd grader who probably will never be able to pronounce the R sound correctly. Stay on top of it! Sorry I don't have any more advice.

Answer by missanc at 6:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My 5yo has been in speech therapy since he was 2.5 yo. We had to start from the very beginning because he had a hard time making any letter sounds. I did a lot of web research and found a blog: http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?cat=3 that I think is great. She's a mom and a speech therapist and she does a great job of explaining how to help the kids make each sound. My son is currently working on the l, sh, and ch sounds but there are still some words that he can't say and has some issues with letters in certain places. The best thing to do is make sure you know what he's doing in therapy and stay in contact with the therapist. I found working along side the therapist is what helped get my son from non-verbal to fighting with his older brother in just a few short years!
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 8:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010