A Baby Dies and Agencies Pass the Buck

The tragedy happened just outside the zoo. It was a beautiful June day and the father, Mike Ricciutti, was taking pictures of his wife and daughter, six-month-old Gianna Ricciutti. There was a cracking sound, the mother fell and the baby flew out of her arms.
A statement from a city Parks Department spokeswoman is perplexing. Vickie Karp says: The investigation as to why the limb fell is ongoing, as is a review of specific responsibility for tree maintenance.
If the department doesnt know who is responsible for tree maintenance, who does?
This little bit of flimflam points up one of the unfortunate developments of recent years. The Parks Department, a city agency, has farmed out the responsibility for overseeing 26,000 trees to the Central Park Conservancy. In addition, the Wildlife Conservation Society has jurisdiction over the zoo.

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 8:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I say it's an unfortunate act of God.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• that sounds like it really sucks, but i don't see how the park is responsible, what if it was the wind or termites? if they're investigating then they are trying to figure it out. what should they do? pay the parents? money wont replace their child.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• oh my gosh.. that hit me in the gut... someone should pay.... not sure who though! At least pay for the funeral expenses!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The level of maintenance is so poor. The 26,000 trees should be inspected regularly. No one wants to take responsibility when something like this happens. This is the fourth accident in less than a year.

Do you think someone should be held responsible or was this an act of GOD?
    Rnurse

Comment by Rnurse (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd expect someone to step up to the plate and take responsibility. I mean...if something like that were to happen on our property to someone that was visiting, we'd be held responsible and accountable.
    Thats awful..that poor little baby. That poor mother and father, how devasting that must be for them :(
    I don't even want to imagine it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, 4 "accidents" in a year, someone should be held accountable for this tragedy.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• it may not replace the child.. but it can help them pay for the funeral.. poor baby ;[ the park should be responsible.. if it was just wind and termites, and it killed someone on OUR lawn.. would we get sued and have to pay.. yes.. therefore they should have to pay.. it was on their property.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 8:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Unless someone can prove negligence I don't see how the parks or anyone can be held responsible for that.

As for you home; same principle, if you have records proving you properly maintained that tree and through and act of nature (god) a branch fell anyway you would not be liable. In general, you have to be found negligent for that to apply.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think it is agencies passing the buck, so much as it is a thorough investigation into what exactly happened. If it was a tree with a damaged branch, then yes, the park or the zoo is responsible, If there is no evidence that there is any pre-existing damage to the tree, and the branch just fell, it is an Act of God, and there is really nothing to be done, unfortunately.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010