How do I get my 3 year old to share?

mommy2boys03

Asked by mommy2boys03 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've been working on this with my 2.5 yo. He and I will take turns with my things, then with his. I tell him that it's nice to share. He's picking up on it pretty well - he doesn't always like it, but he shares pretty well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's a lesson that you can teach your child but it will be a gradual learning process. The more your three year old sees how it is done, the quicker it will be learned. One day my son was sitting down with his animal crackers. I said would you please give mommy one of your crackers. He hesitated, and then looked at me, and I wasn't sure if he was going to make the gesture or not. But sure enough he handed me one of his crackers. I kissed him on the cheek because I was proud of his actions.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Put them in situations that require them to. With my 3yr we have play dates all the time, and before her sister was born we would have friends over and when the kids would fight over one toy we would set a timer and when it went off the toy had to be passed to the next friend.

Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010