More National Guard to the border...

Federal officials told Arizona's attorney general and a congresswoman Monday that 524 of the 1,200 National Guard troops headed to the U.S.-Mexico border will be deployed in the state by August or September.

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Attorney General Terry Goddard, both Democrats, met with Obama administration officials in Tucson along with dozens of law enforcement officials and community leaders. The federal officials included John Brennan, deputy national security adviser for homeland security.

Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said the 524 troops are being trained for deployment in August, and Goddard said two drone aircraft also will be used in Arizona. Goddard called the commitment a first step.

Another 224 troops will head to California, 72 to New Mexico and 250 to Texas. A national liaison office will draw another 130.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This will likely be done during the units two weeks a year. While they are out there they probably won't do anything (If it's anything like the last time the NG went). If the are approached by people with weapons they are to call border patrol and retreat.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was kind of waiting on the question to this one.... Do I think there NEEDS to be NG presence on the border ? Yeah that would be GREAT! Do I think THIS will help? No. Not enough AND whats going to happen is the first time they get into an altercation with someone on the border? Are they going to be nailed to the wall by those on the left who are WAY more supportive of the ILLEGALS and DRUG RUNNERS than they our security forces??Probably and since THAT is the case a part of me wants to say DONT send them for their OWN protection! This will not end well for those sent as long as THIS president is in charge!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I LOVE how you pick and choose what I said. Makes it work for your spin doesnt it? THAT statement went DIRECTLY with the statement before about the troops being SCREWED when they act. and NOE every president before HASNT sided with those committing acts illegals over our law enforcement like his one has!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow 524 troops..that should be a big help..................'bout nearly as helpful as me watering my garden with a sippy cup.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As I have now explained TWICE I was not talking about the fluidity of the borders. You are right..ALL the past presidents have a fault in that. My point was about the troops being SCREWED when they act. BECAUSE every president before HASNT sided with those committing acts illegals over our law enforcement like his one has!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think this is just enough to APPEAR to take this seriously, after all, O was very clear that this was something that was decided quite a while ago, and NOT in response to the new law, or the rancher who was murdered in cold blood. I wonder what kind of "training" the NG needs to patrol the border, anyway. Yeah, 524 troops in AZ will be SUCH a help, probably make those illegals think twice, I'm sure, not.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• That should be *NO but since I lost like 5 points for deleting a response so I could edit it I am leaving it...but JUST in CASE the grammar police are on duty again tonight I feel I should correct it :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I heard that the troops going to AZ will be working in a clerical capacity. Is that true? If so, is this more of a "show" than actual help?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I really just dont think this will help. It's just enough to LOOK like something is being done but not enough to ACTUALLY do something! Which is a shame. I dont think he should be compared to past presidents tho. HE promised change and HE promised to be different. I believe that HE should be held up to the words he said! AZ is drowning NOW and the current admin (the only one that really matters) isnt helping NOW!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010