Do you get offended if someone used the word "retarded"?

I mean, in like casual conversation. Like, is someone says, "Omg, that shirt looks retarded!". Do you find that offensive or politically incorrect?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Not necessarily in that way, no. If you were talking about someone that had problems, it wouldn't be acceptable to me, no. I worked taking care of a women that had Cerebral Palsy and they taught us to use the phrase Mentally Incapacitated...not retarded.
    mamaraylene

Answer by mamaraylene at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do. At one point I would say I didn't have a problem with it, but now I have a nephew with Down syndrome so it takes on a whole new meaning for me. I haven't said that word since he was born and frankly, it disgusts me when people use it.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• no, that would be so retarded..haha. I don't get offended but know some do so i try not to use it. I have a mentally retarded aunt. I would never use it to be vulgar to someone who is ill. I know if i were to use it and when most people do they are only kidding and describing something
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i think most people who have kids who are retarded would be offended if you used the word in its correct contect...so its not a good word all the way around..i guess. Do you really think a mother with a mentally retarded kid would stand there and let you call her kid retarded? Yeah right!! Thats funny everyone says "oh, its only okay to use it if is used correctly...bullshit!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• damn..i'm going to bed!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I used to use that word quite often as a teenager.I didn't know any better then.I find it rude now to use that word.For someone that is mentally retarded I would think its an insult...just hurtful to use.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No. Very little offends me... Often I am the one to point out the misuse of a word. In that circumstance I would simply ask if the shirt was slow because its owner was ambling about, or if it had a disorder- you know, like being a knit, they take a long time.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Nope. It's a very common word in the local vocabulary... Something I have grown up with. My cousin had Down-Syndrome and even his parents referred to him as "retarded." Today the local parents of "disabled" kids I know use the word... It's just a normal thing around here. So I don't find it offensive, but I don't use it in reference to learning disabled people or children just out of respect... I have used it in reference to my DH a few times! lol... But I do try not to use it, just because since joining CM I found out it was offensive to so many...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010