Do you like McNuggets? Do you feed them to your kids? Does it even surprise you that McNuggets contain a chemical that's also used in "Silly Putty"....

What kid doesn't love McDonald's Chicken McNuggets? The white meat chunks are tasty and perfect for little mouths and hands. And while most parents are aware that McNuggets aren't perfectly healthy, they probably don't know exactly what goes into making them.

CNN has revealed that the fast-food chain makes this popular menu item with the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. Mcnuggets also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, "an anti-foaming agent" also used in Silly Putty.

Across the Atlantic in Britain, McNuggets don't contain these chemicals and they're less fattening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

• ick, I think their nuggets are so gross.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 8:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• doesnt surprise me at all. they have almost the same texture. i dont like them, neither does my dd.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I personally do not condone the consumption of waste products... so, it doesn't affect me personally.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow. I thought that taste was familiar! LOL! I love silly putty when I was a kid. I am sure I ate my fair share of that too! Anyway, No. I did not know that. Though I don't really like any chicken, other than Popeye's and Gus' in Memphis! That's some chicken!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wonder why we can't get the same recipe they have in Britain? I don't buy them anymore but when my kids were little I sure did. I wish I knew then what I know now.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I used to buy them for my son, but we have strayed away from fast food. You wouldn't believe the change in behavior.. All by taking away fast foods.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My daughter does get them occasionally, but knowing that now, I will try to limit them lol. I mean it's obvious that anything you buy in a fast food restaurant is going to have bad stuff in it. However, on our 3 day drive to go on vacation, I know we will end up stopping for fast food a few times because we really just can't afford to go to a nice restaurant for dinner and lunch. And since we do not eat beef from fast food especially, the main option will be chicken. My boys get the grilled chicken sandwiches which I am sure are no better, DH and I get grilled chicken salads and DD gets the nuggets and apples normally. But we seldom go for fast food, maybe twice a month if that. I will probably start limiting our fast food this summer though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yuk that is gross!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think they are gross, and am not surprised about the silly puddy connection, I always thought they had like a weird texture to them. DS likes them though, and although it is really rare that we ever go to McDonalds, when we do go that is what he wants. I may have to start telling him they are out of chicken nuggets, though I'm sure the cheeseburger is not much better.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We don't like them. I found a way to make homemade chicken strips using ingredients you can pronounce and the kids would rather have those, have even learned to make them themselves.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010