How to night potty train my 4y/o

DS is 4 and has been completely day trained since he was 2 year old. Never one accident. But, we still have a problem with him wetting the bed at night. We put a pull up on him and sometimes it is dry when he wakes, sometimes it is wet. We have done the not giving him any liquids before bedtime, taking him to the restroom before bed. I've even tried to wake him up in the middle of the night to go but he usually just says he doesn't have to pee and wont. The dr said it is normal and he'll grow out of it. But any suggestions?

GavinsMommii

Asked by GavinsMommii at 8:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried to not wear a pull up? My 4 year old son sounds just like yours and we tried him with no pull up at night because if he had it on he didn't even try to stay dry.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The Dr. is right unfortunately. The only thing we did was before I went to bed I took them to the potty. I didn't even try to wake them up much. Once they got used to doing that for several months they would get up by themselves and go pee around that same time of night.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I hate to say it, but doctor is right he will grow out of it. My DD just stopped about 2 months ago and once in a great while still wets the bed she is 5 now. I also tried having her go before bed and not drinking 2 hours before bed. I do however find that the more she drinks through the day she wets the bed. If she didn't drink a lot during the day she didn't wet the bed.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The doctor is right. His bladder just has to mature enough for him to stop wetting at night. Both of mine were around 4 when they stopped wetting at night. We quit giving ours fluids after 6 pm and that helped some but it was just one of those things they had to outgrow.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This just takes time. My 4 year old is doing it too. He sometimes gets up and goes but lately he's been having more accidents again. Poor guy, it makes him sad :o(
    We cut him of hours before bed time and it will still happen. Then there is times where he'll have a drink just before laying down and he wakes up dry. It will be something he'll just grow out of.
    Good luck Mama, same boat here :o)
    Julie
    3Guys1Mom

Answer by 3Guys1Mom at 8:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• just take the pull up off.....at night....put the big boy undies on.....no drinks 1-2hrs before bed....make sure he goes before going to bed, and then wake him up around midnight to go pee....sit him on the potty so he isnt throwing a fit(if he stands to pee) that he is tired and cant go.....ALSO reward with stickers...like the "way to go" stickers or something.....good luck...
    Bekah062205

Answer by Bekah062205 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010