Is the oil spill creating new jobs?

All those people cleaning up the shore lines are getting paid, or are they volunteers?

Asked by older at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I really don't know, but it seems that the ethical thing to do would be to hire the displaced fishermen, or anybody from the area who can't work due to the spill for WHATEVER reason should be hired help with the clean-up FIRST, before ANY out-of-towners imo.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• there's a company offering transportation to MS, and paying $1000 a week, with paid lodging while you're there. saw it on another question

I wonder if that will end up like the post-Katrina jobs.  Tons of guys around here went and took jobs paying people to tow FEMA trailers down to the gulf coast.   Most of them ended up losing money in the deal, some even lost their homes.  The money was there, but only if you met a nearly impossible set of goals and basically never stopped to sleep or use a bathroom.  A lot of them couldn't even get enough to cover their gas money.  I hope that's not more scamming contractors trying to cash in on gov't funds.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They're being paid; however if you offset the number of jobs lost in the fishing industry as a result of this; the people being employed in the clean up is not helping unemployment 'overall' in the region.

I also read some people were so desperate for work that they were lying saying they were fisherman when they weren't because BP was hiring the displaced fishermen first.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes. Temporary ones. Although as of right now small boats and fisherman ARE being paid large sums to skim BUT the LARGE companies are now starting to snap up the contracts QUICKLY and that is going to leave the little guy screwed! Yes there ARE jobs but they are temporary at best.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, it has created some jobs...with pretty good pay...but now we are seeing a ton of out of towners coming down for them...I really hate to say "No, dont come down and help" but...I wish they wouldn't because our people need those jobs now and they are being taken by people who dont live here :(
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• there's a company offering transportation to MS, and paying $1000 a week, with paid lodging while you're there. saw it on another question. thought about sending dh, but he just started school
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Not really. Those that are getting paid are typically those that are out of work anyways due to the oil spill (fisherman, guides, etc).

So it's more of a balancing act there.. those that lost jobs because of it, can get paid to help clean it up..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There is a enviro. company out of Greensboro, NC that hired a bunch of people to go clean-up (or stay ahead of the mess). So, I guess, in the short term, it created jobs. They will not be jobs that last a working career though.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wish it were the business that actually LOST their jobs but it seems people are coming from all over...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I really don't know, but it seems that the ethical thing to do would be to hire the displaced fishermen, or anybody from the area who can't work due to the spill for WHATEVER reason should be hired help with the clean-up FIRST, before ANY out-of-towners. But then, if they are hired, I think there should be some kind of pro-rating, so they aren't putting in a claim for lost wages, and then at the same time getting paid by them to help clean-up. And when the clean-up is done (if it ever is) they can file a full claim. Kind of how UC works if you have a PT job, you get PART of your UC, which makes it last longer.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010