Wrongful Life...

Okay, so I'm watching Law & Order: CI, I've seen this episode a few times, and it always creates huge questions for me. The idea of the episode is of course murder, but the plot surrounds a woman who wasn't given the option for genetic testing and her daughter was born with disabilities. Because of this she (the mother) filed a "wrongful life" suit... I am Pro-Choice, but I don't think I could ever get up in front of a court and say I wish I had aborted my child... On the other hand, I can understand the want or need to have the money to make sure your child is cared for once you are gone...

Question: What do you think of "wrongful life" suits? And/Or the parents who file them?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• They are a crock of s*it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They are not a crock of shit to the parent who was expecting a normal human specimen.

I do not believe that disabled people are a "gift from god". They have genetic defects, it is not their fault, but it is also the choice of the parent whether or not to bring someone into this world who may not be able to live a happy, normal, fulfilled life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm gonna have to second that. I mean... even though I am pro-life I can almost see why a mom would want that option...but how cruel. That's your CHILD. I never consider a fetus to be a "clump of cells" as some call it...but how can you extend that to a living, breathing, born human who is with you every day??? Sounds like someone looking for money to me. My midwife never specifically said I could have genetic testing, although I'm sure I could have had I asked. And if my kids had been born "off" then so be it... sheesh.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I meant second the first answer.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow, do they really do that? I mean, sure for something like that? Hell, in that case..I wanna sue cuz my 10 year old mouths off and drives me nuts and I should have had the option to have had him genetically engineered to not have the smart mouth gene..haha. I'm being a smart ass. Oh well. lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Procreation is a crap shoot. You don't get "do-overs" if you're not happy with your child.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If they really feel like that she should have given the child up at birth for adoption. There are ALWAYS parents that are willing to parents a handicap child esp from birth. And if they can give Social Security to the SAHM of a child with Autism or Downs Syndrome the that mother could get SS for her child and if she has child in the future they would hopefully take care of their ill sibling when their parents pass away. I know I would, I regularly take care of my mentally ill sister that has a child because my mom can't handle her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• given the number of false positives on a variety of tests, i really think that it's a bunch of crap. besides i've had the pleasure of knowing people with and parents of Downs babies, had a best friend for a while who had spina bifida, etc. Either you want to continue a pregnancy or not because of whether or not you can be a parent or for health reasons, etc., not because you get the wrong baby. I'm occasionally worried about the hardship possible birth defects would cause for me but knowing the people i've known there is no way i could judge the value or quality of my child's life based on them.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I disagree with "wrongful life" suits primarily because they perpetuate the idea that doctors and scientists are, or should be, infallible...like they are some sort of "gods". Having genetics testing done is not a guaranteed of a disability free child. I understand parents in that situation wanting to make sure the child is cared for when they are gone, but there are others ways of making sure that happens. I don't think a lawsuit would be the only way.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm reading a Jodi Picoult novel right now Handle With Care that is about this.  I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I would definitely want the opportunity to make my own decision.

Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010