Will Tricare still pay for my son's prevacid?

My son's prevacid dose was doubled today, so instead of 1 a day (30/month) he will be taking 2 a day (60 per month). Does anybody know if there are monthly limits on the amount they'll pay for? I know that when I was taking migraine medication we had to constantly try different things because they would only pay for 9 of any 1 migraine medication in one month. I guess I'll find out when I go to pick it up in a couple days, but was curious if anybody knew if there's a cap on how many they'll pay for.

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The formulary changes all the time. Are you filling it in town..or at an MTF? We can get things filled on base that they will cover only a limited amount of..or none at all in town. Robitussin with codiene is one. I can get it at the base pharmacy but Tricare won't cover a dime of it if I fill it in town.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We can't get his prevacid from the MTF b/c its non-formulary and isn't prescribed BY the MTF. He has a civilian GI. Anyhow, we get have a waiver and get it for the formulary rate of $9/month instead of $22/month for non-formularies. The website just says they cover "up to a 30 day supply." The script is written 1 solutab twice daily - 1 month supply, so by what the website says and the way its written, they SHOULD pay for it, right? I just don't want to get to the pharmacy and be greeted with a $200+ bill instead of $9.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As long as you have a new script with the new dosage it should be covered.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010