A silver lining in the controversy?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/22/miss.gay.youth/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Asked by older at 8:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It is just sad that they have to face this at such a young age. These are kids they should be able to enjoy this time. Instead they are having to fight to be treated like everyone else. I am glad they are finding support.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• That is so sad that they wouldnt allow her senior photo and cancelled the entire prom. A lot more people are supportive now adays, but there are still alot that frown upon gays. I hope these girls get the support they need. I am proud that they stood up for themselves.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm so glad that they are supporting each other, but it's heartbreaking to know what they have gone through. This is why I'm making sure my kids feel comfortable and supported by our family and friends no matter what their sexuality, and I want them to know that it's the right thing to do to speak up if someone is being discriminated against like this. It's so small-minded and petty what these schools--and many of the students!--did. For both girls, those are once in a lifetime things that they can't get back, but they're incredibly brave to be fighting so that hopefully the next person doesn't have to suffer the same bigotry.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 9:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• older

Comment by older (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• In Redondo Beach, California where I am from it seemed Ok to be gay or have a gay friend. I can't believe it is still a problem anywhere! That's rediculous!
    My little sister is a lesbian and her best friend is gay.
    I will most likely send them this article.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 9:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I guess my thing is, how are our kids supposed to learn to love and tolerate others regardless of their differences if our school districts can do this kind of thing and get away with it. Where were the parents and outraged groups on this? Maybe it's me, but I'm a firm believer that when injustice is blatant like this - action needs to be taken... Why weren't the students protesting this? I think the fact that no one made a big stink early on, upsets me more than anything...

They shouldn't have to look for someone to support them through all this, support should be coming to them. Our HS didn't allow for same sex dates or single people either, so I joined prom committee and together we decided that if we couldn't get rid of the rule, we would refuse to sell tickets to anyone... That's just the way things are - you support your fellow students and you rally around injustice... It upsets me that no one did this here!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow that's messed up.

autumnsunris113

Answer by autumnsunris113 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010