Juices

My little guy loves Juice that is pretty much all he wants to drink, but his doctor is concerned about the sugar in it. So does anyone know of any juices that are very low on sugar that I can give him? He doesn't drink much water and isn't very interested in his milk except at bedtime.

krystie-tina

Asked by krystie-tina at 9:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, it's not great, but it's a lot better than other things for their teeth, so I wouldn't fuss overmuch about it.

If that's all he will drink, that's all he will drink. He needs to keep hydrated.. so you may just have a higher dentist bill. It's not like you are giving him HI-C or something.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure about juices with low amounts of sugar, but I always water my boy's juice down - that way he's not getting it all at once, and he's getting his water too, and he can technically drink more because instead of one 6 ounce glass of juice he can have 3 glasses of juice mixed with water.

I do like v8 fusion light - its supposed to have less of the sugar and stuff, and v8 has fruits and veggies in their drinks! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I personally don't think it's healthy to give kids diet drinks which have artificial sweeteners in them. The last thing kids need is to be pumped full of more chemicals. It would be way better to give your child a 100% juice drink diluted with water than to buy a juice drink that is not 100% juice and has an artificial sweetener in it.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Dilute his juice by at least half or more.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I always add water with the juice, or do like a diet or sugar free juice. I think Ocean Spray is low in sugar!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, what you need to do is do half water and half juice.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You should really find ways to get your child to drink more water and less juice. Juice is only marginally better for you than soda.

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/08/10/maybe-you-shouldnt-drink-juice/

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do water it down. He just won't drink a lot of straight water. He drinks iced tea too, with very little sugar and no caffeine in it. I won't do diet because artificial sweeteners are just as bad if not worse than sugar. I have been giving him 100% juice and the Gerber(i think) baby juices. His doc is just worried it will be bad for his teeth.
    krystie-tina

Comment by krystie-tina (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i always dilute my dd juice but if he wont take it cause of the change in taste.. trick him by buying motts for totts juice boxes and bottles they are pre diluted.. so he wont see you put water and he'll get used to the taste of it until you can dilute it on your own :)
    mummylove17427

Answer by mummylove17427 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son drink's so be life flavor water or minute maid water because he will not drink the water plain.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010