Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I am about to graduate from college with my B.S. degree in Psychology. Which job should I pursue?

I am 24 years old, and I am 12 credits short of my B.S. degree in Psychology. I am not going to graduate school because my overall GPA is a 2.498, but my major GPA is 3.2. After I will graduate from college, I want to pursue a career related to animals. I have almost no experience working with animals. I have only volunteered at a lab with rats for one semester. I don't know what jobs I should look for with my B.S. degree. I would like to become a research assistant at a neuroscience lab, but I think that a position like that is competitive. I don't know if I will be hired, unless I lie about my GPA. Maybe it would be better for me to work with animals in the field. I am thinking about being an animal caretaker/trainer. I can do some volunteer work in Africa in order to get some experience. Is 24 too old to get an entry-level job? Do you think that I would have better chances finding a job in the laboratory or in the field?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • When you are first getting out of college, my best advice is to apply for everything and then see who will even talk to you LOL. I applied for literally dozens of jobs and interviewed for few and got job offers for 1. That's the one I took. Then you work your way up. I don't think anybody gets their dream job right after college (well, very few of us). Most of us had to work our way up from the bottom.
    Also--do not EVER lie on your resume whether it's about your GPA or anything else! That will get you fired in a heart beat....and then it will be tough to get another job.

    Answer by emilex at 9:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Congrats. ! ! Sounds really fun.. I can't say but if it were me, I would love to take something like that and work for those people that grieve over death, of either a loved relative or even their own pet. Grieving seminars are available and people really can come to just join for free if in a church but if you have it in your own house, it's nice and seminars can be cheap enough to keep them coming in; but you don't want to lose your life over it , so charge something that reasonable. Another idea would be to go to homes for "in home grief counseling, " like if you were to have them set an appointment, but you said psychology. So that's what I'm sticking to.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 9:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • In addition, to IN HOME grief counseling, I'd add to that any post partum cases of pregnancy, since it's so real. It's dibilitating to many women after birthing and on cafe'mom I'd go for this since we are now in this one on one association and for females, we love that , I'd love to see much more outreach in this application to helping true sufferers of PPD.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 9:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • what does psyc have to do with animals??

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • You would have to have a graduate degree and a license in order to do grief counseling or postpartum counseling.

    Answer by emilex at 9:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Here are some Hot Jobs 2010 and Beyond


    Answer by musicmom08 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • Does your college provide any type of career counseling and placement? If so, I would start there. Do not lie about your GPA. Many employers will request to see a transcript if you have just graduated and don't have work experience.

    Answer by andrea96 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • You should definitely make an appointment in the career center of your university. A BS in psychology is not a requirement for many career paths; you may need to get creative and build your own path.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.