Question for Catholics??

Is purgatory still something taught in the Catholic religion? If so, how does one attain a state of Christian perfection and immidiately go to heaven?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes it's still taught. But purgatory is more of a process than a place - it's the final purification before entering heaven because nothing unclean can enter heaven (Rev. 21:27). It is a state after death where God both forgives venial (lessor) sins, and purifies us from the temporal punishment due to our sins already forgiven. So if one dies in a state of grace (with no unconfessed mortal sins on our soul) and have done penance for our sins then it's possible that God has already purified that person and they will not have to undergo purgatory. But of course only God knows the state of the soul at death. And to be clear, it's not that someone can earn their way to heaven. We can only enter heaven because of God's grace. Purgatory is one way God shares His grace with us.
    A helpful article here: http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0411fea3.asp
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It is still taught but not focused on from my experience because we don't know how God will judge us. A state of perfection is really hard because we all sin, but we can be forgiven. You can skip purgatory by being a good person and acknowledging your sins and asking forgiveness for them.

Being a good person means remembering the importance of hope, love, faith and charity. You do this by following the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• u can only go 2 Heaven by asking Jesus to come into your heart and forgive you for your sins. John3:16 I'm not Catholic though
    __________________
    This was not an answer to the question, and that is not what John 3:16 says. Eringobrough summed it up beautifully.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• u can only go 2 Heaven by asking Jesus to come into your heart and forgive you for your sins. John3:16 I'm not Catholic though.
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 9:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't see how either Rom. 6:7 or Rom. 6:23 contradicts the idea of purgatory. When I read Rom. 6:7 in context, it says you should die to yourself, so that you do not sin (ie let Christ live through you rather than living on your own, trying not to sin) its not talking about the afterlife. And I totally agree with Rom. 6;23 especially "but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.". That's consistant with purgatory. Paul tells us that, when we are judged, each man’s work will be tried. And what happens if a righteous man’s work fails the test? "He will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire" (1 Cor 3:15). Now this loss, this penalty, can’t refer to consignment to hell, since no one is saved there; and heaven can’t be meant, since there is no suffering ("fire") there. The Catholic doctrine of purgatory explains this passage.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I disagree with purgatory.
    Romans 6:7 For he who had died is free from sin.
    Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death....

Im not Catholic but wanted to give my opinion on it and respectfully waited for others to answer first.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010