What could it be?

My LO woke up this morning having a really bad cough, he cries everytime he coughs or someone makes him laugh. He also doesn't sound good when he breathes. There's no runny nose but he does have a slight fever. Any idea what it could be and what I can do to help sooth it? He's 11 months, and this just happened overnight pretty much. Thanks ladies!

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd give him some tylenol or Ibuprofen. And maybe alternate the two. If his throat is inflamed, the Ibuprofen really helps with inflamation and the tylenol helps with the fever and pain.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Awh :( Poor guy. I hate it when they get sick! I agree with the other mommas that you def. should take him in to the doc to have it checked out. If you have a cool mist humidifier, that will help moisten the air so its not so dry (even though its probably not too dry because its summer) and won't hurt his throat. This might sound bad to some people but I gave me son son spoonfuls of sugar free jello when it seemed like his throat was bothering him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It could be just a chest cold.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• go 2 the doc he needs antibiodic probably a sinus infection
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 9:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sounds like a cold. I'm sorry it sucks when they're too little to even know what's going on. Do you have a humidifier? I highly recomend getting one. They are awesome for colds.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Could be just a chest cold, or maybe even some type of uri, if it dont seem to clear in a day or two or seems to get worse def call his doctor!
    whatthefawna

Answer by whatthefawna at 9:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes I was thinking of taking him to the doc tomorrow. Anything I can give him to sooth the pain in his throat? I really hate that he doesn't feel well and I have to play the guessing game since he's too little to tell me :(
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I heard the "Whooping Cough" was going around..but you could probably tell if he had that, the cough would sound like a barking dog almost. Maybe he has a sore throat and thats why he is crying. I'd take him in, get a throat culture for strep throat.
    Poor little guy..I feel so bad when the kids are sick. My 10 year old is sick now too (does not good for his smart mouth though..he feels well enough to keep that,lol). Hope he gets better soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thank u I really appreciate the help!
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010