How do I prepare myself to get a promotion?

I have started a new job as a supervisor. This is my 3rd supervisory position in about 10 years and I am ready to grow either upward or in another direction. What would you suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• The old business rule for success goes:

Don't just do the job you were hired to do, but do the job you WANT to be hired to do!

In other words, be professional, accept challenging assignments, offer to help other teams out, go above and beyond your job description, make yourself visible to the bosses/higher ups, come in early, work late, complete reports ahead of time and dot your i's and cross your t's. DRESS the part of the job you want! Play "office politics," check the company website for new job postings frequently, and apply for those jobs you would like to assume! And when your employee review comes around, make it clear that you want more responsibility and why! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It seems a lot of employers expect their managers to have higher degrees, such as an MBA. So, if you don't already have a master's degree, you might consider earning one. If you are changing fields, a degree in the new field can also help you.

I also agree with LoriKeet - let your employer know what you want to do.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010