How do you decide what to do next with your career?

I am looking at all my options right now and trying to decide what my next move is. I know what I don't like but am having trouble deciding what I would enjoy doing for the long term. It's a tough economy so I really feel cautious about making any moves without thinking it over completely.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I can understand that. 15 year ago I graduated from college with a degree in secondary education. I subbed for a few years, then got a full time job in behavioral health when I got divorced. I moved from there into a job where I helped MR individuals and then I decided to go back to college and get my special education degree. I now teach at a special education school. If you would have told me 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago that this is what I'd be doing, I'd probably laughed at you.

Look at what you are doing now. What aspects do you really like? What can you do with those aspects? Sometimes, you can find something from looking at those. And don't think that what you go into next is what you need to be locked into. While I have changed job 3 times over the last 7 years, each one has been a step up. I know for a fact (because I asked my current boss) that I wasn't looked upon as a job hopper.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There is a wonderful book called What Color is Your Parachute; it may help you find your path...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010