What age do you feel is best to start teaching your children manners?

I myself feel that it is best to start teaching them to say please and thank you when they start talking. The sooner the better!! I feel there are way too many people who don't press their children to be well mannered. If I ask my son to say please before I give him a cookie and he refuses...he doesn't get the cookie. If he throws a fit then he can go to his room and whine.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My son was signing please and thank you by 10 months. My daughter not so much! She was saying it by 13 months though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't think any age is too soon. Kids will pick it up themselves if they hear you say please and thank you from the start. I think manners are very important. So many kids these days are so rude its unbelievable.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Birth. You start by modeling manners which is your first way of teaching them.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ASAP, but you teach them best by practicing what you preach. Kids learn a lot by watching their parents, ie, a friend's son was in the car with us and yelled, "The gas is on the right!" at a slow car in front of us. Now, he is 3 yo. My friend looked at me and said that she was shocked, but she says that all the time. Kids watch, they listen, and they learn all of our bad manners. They learn our good manners too.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I even think you can model this behavior before they start talking. I say please and thank you to my son, who is 13 months old and just started taking. One of his first words were 'thank you'.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• From birth. If they see Mommy and Daddy using please and thank you it will become automatic when they begin to talk.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think its ever too early to start. We've never pushed it with our son, but I can remember him, before he was even 2, putting things in our hands and crying if we didn't say thank you - it was like a game to him. I think they pick up on what they see, too, so if they grow up around people who say please and thank you and so on, they're probably going to be more likely to do the same. :)

We do tell our son to say please before he gets a treat, and here lately he's been saying thank you a lot more (he's not a big talker yet - he CAN talk, but he doesn't like to unless he wants to), too. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• By talking to them properly, and using manners right away as you talk to them, you are teaching them right from the beginning.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As soon as they can talk I babysit a little 2 1/2 year old and she has very nice manners.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As soon as you get them home from the hospital.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010