Help me with my 5 year old daughter

She is my second daughter. I have an older daughter that is 6 1/2, my other two are younger at 2 years old and 3 1/2 months old.

She is a very sweet girl BUT she is sooo emotional. She goes from happy one second, upset and crying in the next and being petulent after that.

She's always been more emotional but it seems to be getting worse since the birth of the new baby. She's even said a few things about dreaming about the baby being eaten by a wolf then changed her story to a bad man stabbing the baby. I can tell when she is lying and she was totally lying about the dream. I don't really know what she wants out of me. I give her just as much attention as I do everyone else. Except for the baby but that is something I can't help.

She is a good girl but she is just so emotional and I don't really know what to do with her. Everything from discipline etc... I'm afraid of doing something wrong and making this worse.

SandraRh

Asked by SandraRh at 10:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Its middle child syndrome. My sister was like that. Best suggestion is to make some QT time for her. something that is just her for awhile. Its harder on the middle ones because the older ones have the grown up responsiblities and the babies the attention.

Good luck
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would discipline her as you do the rest, but have her seen by a psychiatrist too. She may have deppression or even something else so dont let it go. I know when i had post partum depression I had horrible dreams about my daughter. I would def talk to a childrens doctor.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Its hard for them to share the spotlight. Can you try turning the tables and talk about its her baby sister, she's the big sister. Put ownership with her so she can feel important. Involve her as much as possible and make sure she gets individual time with you and her father. Everyone, I'm sure, is talking about how beautiful the baby is, and getting so much attention directed that way, she is just feeling insecure. Sounds like you are trying your hardest and recognize what she is doing, I hope this stage ends soon. She will eventually see the baby is part of the whole family unit, just like she is. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest (7 y/o) is like this. She's seen a counselor and she determined that it's normal behavior for her. It's just her personality. Her sister (my middle DD) was born before she was 2, so I don't think she really remembers being an only child, or what it was like to have mommy all to herself. As far back as her memory takes her, it's always been her, her sister, and my DH. When our 3rd DD was born, she started mouthing off more, and testing her limits more, but she's also gained 2 years since then. She's growing up, and they tend to test their limits as they do. She's very much a momma bear with her little sis. I've found that it works best when she's given choices. Tonight for example, she was give the choice of continuing to argue with her sister (middle DD) and go to bed with no bathroom light on, and the door closed, or clean her room as asked. Needless to say, she decided to clean with no more arguments.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thanks for all the input ladies. I just really worry about her because my sister acted like this when she was little and she's bipolar and in to trouble all the time. And I worry so much because my little Mary is just like my sister was as a child.
    SandraRh

Comment by SandraRh (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My youngest is like that and the best solution we've come up with is that my husband i each try to spend at least a couple hour one on one time with each child, like just me and one of them going to the park for and hour or taking one to the store with me and letting them put things in the basket for me it makes them fell big and important. than my husband does the same.
    MBax

Answer by MBax at 11:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010