Religious Communities?

I was thinking about the Amish and how they live within their own little communities and it got me to thinking... If there were a community/town/county where everyone shared your beliefs would you be willing to live there?

Now, I'm not talking like some cultist walled in city or anything, but a community or town like any other where everyone shared the same belief system or lack there of...

Would you live there? Why or Why Not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• no. Hello boring!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No. I think it would be terribly boring if everyone around you were the same.
    LUVWJ

Answer by LUVWJ at 10:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, I don' t think so. I think that it would be harder to teach acceptance of all different types of religions and cultures if your child was not exposed to those elements.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Probably not. While we may agree on the issue of there not being any god the rest would be completely varied and possibly incompatible with what we do believe in with regards to certain things.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i dunno...first id be shocked that there was such a place. id probably move there for a day or two but then get bored from everyone agreeing. and since my DH doesnt believe the same as me id miss him too much haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, I like diversity too much. I would get bored really quick
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Maybe. I've always been fascinated with the Amish and their private lifestyle. I can't even count how many books I've read on them. In a way, it would be nice to live in a similar type of community. They really take care of each other. They have no need for health insurance because if someone gets sick, they all pitch in to pay for the bill. If someone needs a barn or a home, they build it together. They share food, they trade necessities, they help raise each others children...among many other things. I wouldn't like how they shun those who walk away from the community, but if it was "come and go" as you wish, I think it would be cool. I don't even know about a community based on religion, but just a general want for a close-knit community. Kind of like a hippie commune, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Great question, btw. I haven't heard this one before. Unfortunately, I've already used all of my bumps, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, just because I find the diversity to be absolutely fascinating, and inspiring :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• it would be much harder to recognize the things in the world that need our (me and cobelievers) particular support and healing... no. i would like to spend time in a weekend retreat (and have), but i like the opportunity to interact with all types of people as well as that would inhibit my ability to lead groups, as i have done for years, with a purpose of helping people determine their personal spiritual path...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010