Any suggestions or ideas?

How can I keep my Scotch eggs from splitting open? They are basically boiled eggs wrapped in a sausage meat and bread crumb mixture and baked. They taste great but the sausage meat splits open during baking. Any ideas how I can prevent this?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 10:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• http://www.getupanddiy.com/projects/baked-scotch-eggs-recipe/index.php

This comments on the splitting. It suggests squeezing harder the place where the sausage is joined together, and putting the seam side down in the baking pan.

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't know. I wonder if a thicker layer of sausage might work. What probably happens is that the sausage splits as it shrinks during cooking. So a lower fat sausage might not shrink as much.

Answer by Bmat at 10:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• That sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• http://grillinfools.com/2009/08/12/smoked-scotch-eggs-yes-eggs-on-the-grill/

This site also mentions the splitting and says to pat the area of the seal well. It appears to me that splitting may be pretty normal.

Answer by Bmat at 8:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Pretty much all meat shrinks as it cooks - you'd have to wrap it bigger than the egg, which sounds pretty much impossible to me, lol.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You could always cheat and make them in muffin tins (would that make them Yorkshire Scotch Eggs?)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• That sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe? itsallabtthem84 Answer by itsallabtthem84

I'll pm you with the recipe but you'll have to give a day or two lol.  I have a busy schedule early this week.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestion Bmat.

The recipe I use called for 8 eggs.  After the first time, I cut it down to 6 eggs and they still split.  I also use lean ground pork because I don't like the sausage meat we get here. 

The wrapped eggs are rolled in more breadcrumbs to coat.  I spritzed the first batch with olive oil and I didn't with the second and they split both times.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Next time I'm going to try making two smaller patties of sausage meat and "sandwiching" the egg between them instead of trying to wrap one large pattie around the egg.  Wish me luck lol.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Was thinking about this more - I wonder if you mixed some of the breadcrumbs into the sausage (like you would for meatloaf) if it would help. That seems to be the deciding factor if our meatloaf cracks or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010