When did your toddler get out of his whiny/clingy stage?

My son is 14 months old and will follow me around the house constantly and won't let me do anything except play with him or hold him. I do work, so I understand to a point, but my husband says that I'm too lenient on him and that I let him get away with too much. My toddler's much better on the weekends when I'm home all day, but he's still a bit more clingy than I would have thought. Any tips? Any idea when they grow out of this stage?

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only one who was clingy was my son who is now 5 yrs old. He still has his moments when he is clingy. I don't think they really totally out grow it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. My oldest is 8 and still whines. It will continue till their teens and beyond, lol.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If its a boy...NEVER.They grow up into whiny men.
    If its a girl...the whining changes into bitching...so whenever she starts her period.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son has never been really clingy, sometimes to Mommy's dismay :( but I'll let you know when he stops whining! He's almost 2.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my daughter is coming up on 13 months and although i cant tell you when they grow out of it, i share your frustration..i cant do anything without her right behind me..it even hurts my husbands feelings when she wont go to him when she gets hurt or is tired..but when im not around shes fine, she will go to him no problem..sometimes its easier to just let the kids have thier way, even though its a very bad habit...im hoping she will grow out of it soon..good luck to you! your not alone!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You mean they grow out of it??? lol. My 7 and 5 year olds are still clingy sometimes. Although I will say they stopped being super clingy around age 3.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Im sorry I dont have an answer but just want you to know you're not alone! My 20month old son does the SAME THING and ONLY WITH ME! My husband says the same thing, that its my fault because I "baby" him too much which is completely untrue! I admit that I'm softer with with him than my husband but really don't see how I reinforce this behavior - I've tried ignoring it, raising my voice / getting stern and telling him "No you don't act like that", tried explaining to him, but nothing seems to currently work other than somehow distracting him with something else or somehow incorporating him into what I'm doing.. Example: if I'm trying to wash the dishes or clean the kitchen and hes just following me around whiny or clinging to me to pick him up, I'm able to put him in his high chair and give him some of his dishes, toys or snacks to occupy him while I finish up and that keeps him busy for a while.
    Ronim1208

Answer by Ronim1208 at 12:06 PM on May. 24, 2013

• ^^ CONT... But I'm also a working mom and pregnant so I'm assuming those two factors have something to do with it??
    Ronim1208

Answer by Ronim1208 at 12:07 PM on May. 24, 2013