Do you "have" to assign Godparents at a Baptism?

We don't have a man that we can think of to assign as a Godfather for our second baby. Is that weird to only pick a Godmother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, not everyone has GodParents... It's a nice touch, but not a must...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Don't know, it depends on what your church requires. They don't really have any real responsibilities anymore other than providing support and guidance in a child's religious education. It used to be these were the people your children would go to if something happened to you. It scares me now when I see some of the people we chose for our children's godparents. They used to be much more responsible.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• For Catholics you only need one godparent so you could have just a godmother. But I don't know about other denominations. I don't think it's weird - I think it's a sign that you take the position seriously rather then just picking anybody which is a good thing.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure if you need both, some denominations allow you to pick just one.

With my nephew, you didn't need godparents to be baptized. And my niece only had one godparent... At my SO's church you need to have both a male and female though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010