What do you think about the legal age for driving?

What do you think about the legal age for driving? Do you think it should be higher than it is now? If so, what age?

tanya777

Asked by tanya777 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They should graduate it - 16 you can drive during daylight hours only, nobody under 25 in the car, 17 (or license for 1 year) they can drive at night, nobody under 25, and only once they hit 18 do they get "normal rights". More importantly - all 50 states need to make in-school driver's ed a graduation requirement instead of leaving it up to driving schools that just want their money. Much as DH teases me about the difference in drivers from here to back home, I DO notice a difference in how kids drive here - and they don't offer drivers ed in school. Where I grew up you couldn't graduate without it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wish someone would put a cap on the driving age. I see numerous aging drivers that have about as much business driving as a 12 year old. Or at least have a better test.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it should be AT LEAST 18. There are WAY too many irresponsible kids on the roads who care more about who is texting them and texting back and racing on the road than careful driving.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think raising it to 18 would to much - they'd be just as inexperienced then as they would've been at 16.

I know in my state, they have a graduated program. You have to have your permit for a year before getting your license (permit at 15, license at 16). At 16, you can't drive past 9 at night, etc. It works pretty well.

Age isn't really the problem - it's letting kids loose behind the wheel without the proper education or experience.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I grew up in a farming community and everybody drove! I started driving when I was 9...not on public streets but on my grandparents farm. I started driving my sisters and I to school when I was 15 and that was without a license or permit! Everybody did it and we didn't have tons of accidents either. Our school also offered drivers ed as part of the curriculum and everybody took it.

I am not advocating this system for today's teenagers though, these kids are far less responsible that the kids I grew up with. I kind of like the graduated system. I wouldn't like the blanket 18 though, that would be hard for some kids..those that need to work to support themselves/a baby/family or those already in college.

I have been in 2 accidents, neither was my fault and both were caused by adult drivers.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Idk... there are just as many irresponsible adults as teens. Sixteen seems to be fine, many states have restrictions on who can be in the car with a teen driver until the age of eighteen anyway.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with DusterMommy that it isn't so much age as it is proper age and experience. Where I live they have a graduated program, and you cannot get your license without showing documented proof of a driver's ed class plus X many hours of documented driving hours. Parents have to sign a a form that allows them to be the ones to log hours for the child. You get a permit at age 15 and then you license at age 16-ish (after completing all the requirements, which seems to take at least a year). I think you can only have one underage passenger in the car until you are 18, but I have to double check that one.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it should be 18 for a number of reasons one is they are not mature enough there are many other reasons but i don't want to get into it
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 18 years old
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It should be at least 18. When I lived in Germany, they had an excellent driving system there. You had to be 18 and driving was not a "right", it was a privilege that had to be earned. The new drivers were required to take a driving course (which they had to pay $2000 euro) and it was very intensive. They also did not text, talk, or goof off while they were driving. They produced better and more responsible drivers and I think that America should follow in some of their guidelines.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010