Sippy cup or straw cup?

I am beginning to wean my 12month from the bottle, which is better sippy cup or straw cup?

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never liked the straw cups. My children always had sippy cups. You can always buy one of each and see which one your child likes better and drinks out of better.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would say sippy cup. Just because the straw cup can be a bitch to clean if your kid is anything like mine and hides sippy cups of milk in places that I don't find for a couple of days.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 10:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• sippy
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Which one spills easier. That's my criteria. Then you have to look at all the contraptions inside that need to be washed and where all the junk can get stuck. I swear some powerwashers can't even get the crap out of those lids. All whining aside, see which one your baby drinks out of better. I like the sippy cups. Less leaking and the kids liked them better.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Buy one of each and see which one you like best.

Personally, I'd go with sippy at that age, because they are least likely to spill, and usually a little easier to master.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• well i like the sippy better but i took dd to the dentist for the first time in feb. (she is two) and she said the sippy is just as bad as the bottle and can rot your child's teeth.. so since then i have switched to straw and regular cup (only in the kitchen..lol)

staceybear23

Answer by staceybear23 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Straw cup. Easier to use and it doesn't need to be tipped.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A straw cup is better for speech development. Take a look at So Long Sippy Cups, Hello Straws

The problem is that use of the sippy cup does not contribute to the normal muscle development of a child's mouth.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• a good first sippy cup are the nubys
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We have always and still use sippys. My son has always been able to drink from a straw, but he gets too fascinated with trying to pull the straw up out of the cup to actually DRINK from it!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010