multiple earring holes?

When i was a teen I got 2nd and 3rd piercings in my ears. I have not worn earrings in these holes in almsot 20 years. In the last few years every so often the middle holes especially the one on my left ear, will get sore and swell slightly and when I press on it puss comes out..any idea what may be causing this?

munchkinaplenty

Asked by munchkinaplenty at 10:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

• Most people will say that if you take out an earring, the hole will close in time. Mine are still open after all these years of not wearing anything. The holes become clogged with earwax, hair products, and shedding skin. Make sure that after you wash your hair that you use soap to clean the ears. This will help keep buildup from causing the issue. Been there myself.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It sounds as though there is a small pocket of infection in it that builds up. I think it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't know my holes all closed up except my first holes. I had three.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My husband has guages and I used to...they tend to get smelly and ooze if you don't clean them really well and I've been told it's when it's trying to heal and can't.
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 10:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Have your doc check it out.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2010