Ok...just how much does a divorce cost..on average?

We have two young (school aged) children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• It depends on your attorneys fees, if it's a contested divorce, your county fees. I'd call an attorney in your area and ask

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I look forward to the answers :)
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 10:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We had an uncontested one with 1 child. In IL, it was $850 and 200 of that was for the court costs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It depends on if you own property and if it's contested. My son got his divorce pares drawn up for 200 bucks.. All he had to do was follow the directions and file them, them show up to court. If it is uncontested and you can agree on everything. SameDayDivorce.com was a great way for him to go. Otherwise they'd have been separated for years before they could get an attorney.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Search google to see if you can do a do it your self divorce in your area. Most times it just cost courts cost. You can also see if you have a legal aid department and give them a call.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sorry..didn't proofread. that shoyld read PAPERS. His court costs were about 250..that varies by states and county
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I just checked out Samedaydivorce.com. That is some fast service, they had me able to schedule a court date in 2 days. I'm not ready to divorce, yet. lol
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 10:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure because mine was totally free. However my mom's was $99.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Financially or emotionally?
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 11:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My pal is a divorce attorney- he says it's easier and cheaper to kill the husband. ;)

Each county has a filing fee. If you need a cop to serve the papers, there is a fee. There is a notary fee when the divorced is final. These fees should be posted on your linty web site. There will be filing and notary fees for any custody paperwork your unique case requires.

Lawyers charge $150/hour and up. Some are very expensive.

You can also call the clerk of court and get this info specific to where you live.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010