Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how can i find out costody rights in washington state without it costing me

well i have a son who has a son that me as his grandmother we have been raiseing him since he was 3 weeks old but my son has been providing finaincally but has never gone to the courts for costody. but he keeps telling us that since his been in his coustody for over 6 mounths that state law he has costody but we keep telling him he needs to get it in black and white and legually is he right or are we right

Answer Question

Asked by susan4sanders at 10:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You local library should have a Law Section or you can always google it.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Unless he signed over custody to you he has custody. Where is the mom? I suggest someone go to a family attorney and discuss it. Most have free consultation. A grandparent doesn't normally have rights in most states unless the bio parent with custody gives it to them.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Plenty of that type of info in the web, just perform a search for your state.

    Answer by 2boimommy at 11:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • In some states if the parents were never married then the mother has custody and the father has to go to court. The grandparents never have custody unless the bio parents give them custody. He really needs to go to court and get an order of full custody because unless he has that the child's mother can come get the child whenever she wants.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Shaneagle777

    Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.