How do you get rid of a bad ant problem?

We have a HORRENDOUS ant issue in our kitchen, we have the baits out and we've been keeping it clean...we can see where they're coming in but it's SO GROSS! We rent here...and I don't think the landlords will do anything. Hubby is about to caulk up the spot where they're coming in. But will they just find a new entrance??

NewMom2RAD

Asked by NewMom2RAD at 10:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Spank their ass and send them home! Ok, that was a joke. Something is bringing them in so you are right. They will find a way back in. I'd call an exterminator and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Borax, and don't kill the ants you see - they have to take the borax back to their colony or it won't help. If just a few die off here and there the rest will just relocate (still in/near your house).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• So on the borax--where do we put it, just in the corner where they're coming in? Also, I hope if we had to call an exterminator that the landlord would pay...it's a townhome/apt complex. I'm wondering if our neighbors are having the same issue.
    NewMom2RAD

Comment by NewMom2RAD (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well I used Amdro. It is an ant poison that they take back to the nest. I sprinkled it around the entire house. It is expensive at 20$ for a canister of it. But it works. you can use it on individual ant beds by sprinkling it around that particular ant bed. It is really quick and has always worked for us.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 11:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• put it wherever you see the ants most often - usually they go for water. Mix it with sugar, just make sure no LO can reach it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i work at a hotel and were getting a ant problem and this lady didn't want her room to get sprayed so she use mouth wash and it work and when i seen the guy thats comes out to spary our rooms and stuff i told him and he said yea mouth wash does work so you can try that
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010