1 Month old screaming when going to the bathroom

My daughter screams everytime she poops. Shes really struggling, but the stool is really loose, and looks normal for the most part. Anyone know why she is in so much pain? Can babies get UTI's?

Chloes_momma531

Asked by Chloes_momma531 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your doctor. If the stool is loose, then it is unlikely it is constipation.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would suggest setting up a appointment with her doctor.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• She may have a ph imbalance. Talk to the doc. Mine would do that when she was older and I was told to give her yogurt to help but yours is so young that you really need to talk to them...Is she on formula? You may need to try a different one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with the others. If the stool is loose, its not constipation. And yes babies can get UTIs but that would be bothering her every time she peed, not just when she went poop. Is she formula fed? Maybe that type is bothering her stomach and giving her pains? Regardless I think her doctor should know.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Your baby could have irritable bowel syndrom.When my daughter was 3 months she had this.
    windwispers

Answer by windwispers at 10:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• She is on enfamil for gas, because she is extrememly gassy, This is the third formula we have tried. I wish i was still breastfeeding, she was soo much better
    Chloes_momma531

Comment by Chloes_momma531 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd be calling the doctor. If you have a recorder (cam, whatever that can record her sounds) I'd record her screams so he can hear you are not exaggerating. They like to say "well she was just passing gas " or something else dumb

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My dd has the same issue.... A lot of poop drama. My pediatrician said some babies have slight rectal sphincter coordination issues and out grow it. She's not hurt, just having to adjust to something shes not so good at yet. She'll grow and get better muscle control.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• So shes not hurt just doesn't know whats going on? She really seems hurt, and it breaks my heart, because i can't do anything...
    Chloes_momma531

Comment by Chloes_momma531 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I didn't know she was having formula issues/ brand changes. It may be a formula problem. I'd ask the pedi to check her asap.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010