Getting a Laptop for a 4th Birthday Gift?

We wanted to get our 3 year old a computer for her 4th Birthday. I asked the question about finding a good computer her in the shopping section, and I got opinions different from my own. I'm ok with that, and I respect their opinions. I was just wondering what other people thought? We are a very techy household so it makes since for all of us to have our own computers.

Mom2princessq

Asked by Mom2princessq at 11:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oh i come form the same type of household. my 18 month old can turn the laptop on and off and loves playing typing in notepad. i think maybe a small netbook for a 4 year old would be better! go to best buy or even a pawn shop maybe. i found a pink netbook i wanted to get for my daughter when she get's older because they are smaller and lighter!
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 11:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I answered your other question but I'll tell you why I feel the way I do. A computer is EXTREMELY expensive and no 3 almost 4 year old understands the concept of money and how much things cost. You are talking about buying your child a gift that is like $500+! Not to mention she wouldn't even be able to fully use it. I'm assuming all she knows how to do is to play games and stuff? If that's the case, you could buy her and actual game or something instead. My 16 year old sister doesn't even have her own computer. I personally think 4 year olds should be outside playing, not on a computer. Not to mention if you get her a computer for her 4th birthday, what are you going to get her every birthday after that? I don't think it is even close to being age appropriate. Not bashing you or anyhting, just telling you my opinion.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• too young i think!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it's okay if you limit the time they spend on it. They really need to go outside and play, but if you find a good balance I don't see what is wrong with it. Kids can learn a lot on computers with all the learning games they make now.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't go out and spend a lot just yet. How about a netbook. They will more than likely just use it for games and educational stuff. This way, if she does damage it, you aren't out that much money. Then you can get her a higher priced one in a couple of years when she will have an appreciation for money.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Personally I would not do that.. if you do I would get one that is not brand new only because kids that young are known to destroy stuff! I would not put internet on it just games that you can buy for her. Please limit the time she is on it... she is still a child and needs to be doing other things like playing with toys, riding her trike and playing outdoors. Soccer is a good thing too, they start them at 4 or 5 now.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My 9 yr old has his own laptop... he has had his own pc since he was 4 yrs old... we do not do any type of cable tv in this house... we get all info from the internet including cartoons, movies, music.. etc... way cheaper...
    I see no reason why your dd should not have her own... our gs's is a Dell with a dual Intel processor... it (we hope...lol) will last until he is finished or almost finished with school...we monitor what he does with it... and we have no parent control set on his and he is completely internet accessible ...
    And the cost was under a grand...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it's a bit ridiculous honestly. What will you get them next year or the year after if you buy them a computer this year? Stick with little toys, your child probably wouldn't even appreciate a computer anyway.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks for keeping it light :0)
    Mom2princessq

Comment by Mom2princessq (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010