AAA Texting Ad -- Too graphic?

AAA launches an Anti-Texting Ad, aimed towards teens who text while driving. Certain TV stations are banning it, deeming it "too graphic".

Agree? Disagree?

http://wlos.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wlos_vid_2494.shtml

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is it the one that's been going around facebook for awhile now? It's graphic and disturbing, but I think it gets the point across quite well. However, it's not just teens who do this, just the other day I saw a woman in her 50's or so who was all over the place while trying to text. Another person I saw the other day was reading a novel while driving. WTH??? Just freakin' drive people!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They've been showing the same one overseas for a while. I don't think it's too graphic, but I think there are a lot of people who still think it's a joke.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Also can't find the video. But I'm sure I won't think its too graphic. Unfortunately these days teenagers are so desensitized by everything they see on movies and tv that sometimes you need a shock factor to get an important message through to them. In high school, everyone that was attending prom had to watch a mandatory video from the county coroner about drunk driving. It showed car accidents with dead bodies, people lying in their prom dresses in the middle of the road with body parts missing, etc. It was all real footage. If you didn't watch the video you weren't able to go to prom. Well I can tell you no one that I knew was even thinking about drinking and driving after that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I can''t find the video either but I have been reading about it. It is only going to air at night after 9 pm and only on certain channels. Although I have not seen the ad, I think that if it is a wake-up call for 1 teen then it is worth it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Here's the original, I found a news report that only showed censored bits of it, but it's the same ad.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• However, it's not just teens who do this, just the other day I saw a woman in her 50's or so who was all over the place while trying to text.

I think that's why they include the dead baby and dead parents, so it's not so easy to dismiss as a "teenager problem". Honestly though, it's not just texting, it's having the phone period. I have a 20 minute commute each way on a 4 lane freeway, and at LEAST 3 times a week some asshole on a cellphone nearly takes me out (and that includes the one with their stupid bluetooth - just because they're not holding the phone doesn't mean they're paying attention).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I saw one of these ads a while back, I believe it was shown in the UK, maybe? It was graphic, but that is what is needed for our teens today. Part of being a teen is that invincibility factor, you know, it happens to OTHERS but it won't happen to ME kind of thinking. We need every tool that we can find to bring them back to earth, to reality.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that everyone needs to watch it.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've seen people say they can text and drive and it's not dangerous. They remind me of the alcohols who say they drive better drunk.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• guess they don't show "Blood on the Pavement" to this generation of delicate flowers, eh?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010