How much should i feed my 1 month old?

I have switched to formula, and don't know how much i should let her eat so i don't over feed her? Can you over feed? How do i know shes full? Will she stop, or keep going?

Chloes_momma531

Asked by Chloes_momma531 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Burp her after 2 oz and then 2 oz more then burp and only offer more if she acts hungry. If she doesn't ask for it offer her 4 oz again 3-4 hours later. If you overfeed her she will spit up more than usual. She will stop when she's had enough.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Most babies know when to stop. I was really worried about over feeding my son and went by all the recommendations only to find out the poor kid was really hungry! If she's constantly throwing up (not just spit up) after she eats a lot then I'd say that might be too much but from what I know it's really hard to overfeed a baby. They usually know when they are full!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You should ask your ped. doctor. Every baby is different. If you are giving 3 oz. they should be able to go 3 to 3.5 hours. They should not exceed 32 oz.. Some doctors say feed on demand, but some people do not know what that means. That is why I ask my peds doctor. What I did I would give my daughter a pacifier to try to hold her over for her next feeding. Sometimes I did feed her a little bit early. Every time they cry you just do not keep feeding them.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Let her have as much as she wants. If she eats too much, she'll spit it up...if she does this regularly and spits up a lot, you might want to cut back a bit. As a whole though, babies don't typically overeat (unless you keep forcing that bottle in her mouth =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• They can definately over feed from the bottle. Infants have a natural need/urge to suck that lasts long after they have "enough" to eat. That's why it's very important to have the slowest flow nipple on the bottle, and to make giving the bottle as much like breastfeeding as possible, and to not "rush" it. At one month, an infant is still "designed" to try to up a mother's milk supply, so they will want to suck, A LOT- and if this sucking and need for comfort is all done with the bottle, then you will have an infant with a stretched out stomach who thinks that they need more milk than they do. At this age I would not be giving more than 2-3 ounce bottles every 2 hours.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with lifetimelove.

Also I breastfeed but my pediatrician recommends that if you're going to formula feed to start with 1 ounce per month of babies life and if they are still hungry to offer a little more but not to exceed 2-3 times that amount in young babies.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son is a week old and I bottle feed him on demand. Sometimes he eats 2 oz sometimes he eats 4 oz. I let him lead the way and he has not overeaten yet. Go with your instincts.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2010