Should I say something or just stay out of it?

So I believe completly that all child develop differently, and are all learn things different. But I have a concern. The neighbor lil boy is 2 years and 5 months olf and my daughter is 2 years and 4 months old. They play probaly everyweek a few times a week for hours at a time. I can't help but notice how different they are. My daughter speaks in small sentences, and can say hundred of words, but the only words that I've hear the neighbor boy is "Hi" and "Voom, Voom". Also it seems like everytime they play together he never trying to interact with anyone, he's always playing on his own. The parents have even said things about him barly talking, but say it's b/c he's a boy. Idk. I want to say something to them about maybe talkin to his doc about it, but yet I don't want to but into there business. Should I say something or just but out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is the same way my DD is and her cousin is. She speaks non stop and he won't. His dad is like that too. I think her doc says that if he isn't talking more by 3-4, they will look into it more
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• depends on what kind of relationship you have with the parents..if it were me id probly say something but make it sound as friendly as possible and like your curious about what the doctor says about it..ask if he talks more when hes at home with them.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Every child is different. I would continue with the playdates and not compare children. My son and my youngest daughter were chatterboxes and extremely social at that age. My middle daughter not at all. She was shy and her older brother did her talking for her and I knew what she needed and wanted without talking. At 6 1/2 she has all kinds of friends and is just fine.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My ds didn't speak in full sentences until he was 4, we even had him in early intervention services. He just finished Kindergarten and did beautifully, even being in a higher reading level than required. DD on the other hand has been speaking in full sentences since 2 1/2. All kids are different and the milestones have a HUGE range of normal. I'd say, just let it be.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would bring it up and say that it may be nothing but it also would not hurt talking to the pediatrician about it. Some children are just late talkers. My sister did not talk until almost three. Now at 22 years old, She hardly ever shuts her mouth.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Personally no I wouldn't say anything. Boys do tend to develop slower than girls and you already mentioned that the parents have noticed that he's not talking as much. I'm sure if there really is something wrong, his doctor will notice or a family member or something like that. I personally would feel kind of offended if someone just came out and said they thought my son was slow or something because he wasn't as advanced as their child. All kids develop at different rates, doesn't mean any 1 is better or worse than the other...just going at their own pace. I know you are just a concerned friend but I think it will do more harm than good by saying something.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes every kid is diff and it also depends on the parents. but they say boys are slower when it comes to talking. my boys are speaking really well though and they are almost 3
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This sounds just like my DS and My best friends DS. Her son talks nonstop and talks in sentances. My son signs and talks at home but when we go over there for playdates it's like he can't get a word in. My best friend kept saying things about how little he talks and one day she said that maybe there was something wrong with him. I over reacted and picked him up and left. I know there is nothing wrong with my son b/c he responds to my questions and requests w/ little hesitation and we hardly ever watch TV. Her son has had the TV on since he was born and is only a parot! He repeats repeats repeats commercials and everything we say but doesn't know what he is saying. Just approach her once and ask her about what the doc said about him talking. Don't compare the two children b/c it will make you seem like you are braging (like my friend WAS doing!). It might make her think about speach therapy or more dialoge with her doc.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 12:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I worried about this with my DD. By age 2 she wasn't saying much or struggling with pronunciation. While her cousin was saying quite a few things. (they are an hour and a half apart)

Well, DD is 30 months (2 1/2), and is out of the blue (within the past month or so) busting out with a colorful vocabulary, and talking in sentences. Her pronunciation still needs some tuning.. but other than that she is doing great. Even starting to count, and learn her ABC's, etc.

At her 2 year well ness the dr and I talked about her speech,, she said typically between 2 and 3 is when they will pick up language. If I notice NO difference between 2 and 2 1/2 to bring her in and they will test her hearing first. If that is an issue they would deal with it. If not, they would wait until 3 before deciding if it was truly an issue.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• So I guess my suggestion would be to just try to get involved with the boy a little bit. Play some games maybe with the two of them, of name that picture, etc. Try talking to him in soft voices to see if he responds. (If not, then I'd say you can suggest that you think he may have a hearing issue).

If he responds, keep interacting, and wait until about 3 to really discuss things with the mother. He may surprise you yet.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2010