How do you get to hold your own baby?

When ever i go over to my husbands side of the family I never get to hold my new baby. I'm glad they are so excited about her, but when shes upset, I want to be the one to make her feel better. Some times I will go all day without getting to hold or feed her. I don't want to be rude but I want to hold my baby. Sometimes I know she just wants me or her dad, but i don't want to be rude. Does anyone else have this problem?

Chloes_momma531

Asked by Chloes_momma531 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did. and sometimes you have to be very blunt with them. if she is crying try saying something like "i think she wants her mommy"
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• honey, sometimes you just have to be a bit rude! My MIL was the worst about that especially at feeding time. I kept having to remind her I was breastfeeding which was something she couldn't do for me! LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I did. I just went nuts and said she's crying and it isn't cute she NEEDS something give her to me. They were letting her cry passing her around saying oh she's so cute. I didn't care what they thought it wasn't right and I wasn't going to deal with it. There were times after that they came to visit and I just made sure she was busy being nursed most of the time. They can see her on my lap. I wouldn't worry about being rude, honestly.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Seriously, you just need to take her. I had this issue too, but I would politely say, "He wants his momma", and hold my arms out. If they tried to ignore me, I'd say, "Here, let me have him" and take him out of their arms, lol. He's my baby, and I have the final say. Plus, I was never lying...he DID want me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• your not being rude, it's YOUR child. If she starts fussing, and it's not calmed within like 5 seconds, just get up and take her and say you need to check her diaper or she's hungry or whatever.....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You just tell them nicely that you are going to hold her. Remember that they are just as excited as you are and that is awesome. 16 months ago we had our daughter and we are still waiting for a phone call from my husband's dad telling us congrats.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• When it comes to a new baby sometimes you just have to be rude. She is your child and you know what is best for her so if you feel as if she needs you tell your hubby's side of the family that it's your time to hold your baby in a nice way. Everyone will probably understand I know my IL just wanted to give me and my hubby a chance to spend time together without the baby.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 11:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You don't need an excuse to take your baby. She is yours. So even if she's not crying, you do NOT have to give her over. If they don't like it, they can have their own or wait until YOU are ready to hand her over. Just tell them that it's mommy bonding time and they will have to excuse you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Nope. When I want to hold my baby, I hold my baby.
    You shouldn't be afraid to ask to hold your own baby! It's your right, and a very fair one at that.

I actually did have this problem with my MIL, and I let it be known to her that she can hold her grandchildren whenever she wants, but when I ask for them, I expect them to be handed over with no problems. It's not like I'm huddled in the corner refusing anyone to hold them or even look at them.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd just pick her up from whoever was holding her and be honest ... say, "I miss my brand new baby I need to hold her!" :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010