Fingers in his mouth!!!!!

My 22 month old son CONSTANTLY puts his fingers in his mouth!! It not only drives me crazy but it is gross! My older 2 didn't do this, so it was never an issue with them. I KNOW he doesn't understand that it is gross and he is just doing it because that is "what toddlers do". I just want to know any ideas to get him to stop. Not only is it kinda gross when I go to take his hand and it is all slobbery, but I am concerned with when we are out and about and he touches everything and then puts his fingers in his mouth!! ewww!! lol So what are your ideas to help him keep his fingers by his side instead of in his mouth?????

mama2000_1

Asked by mama2000_1 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Distraction was about the only thing that worked for us. Is he sucking on them like a pacifier? If so, you might try teaching him that if he sucks on them, he must go to bed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• slice up a lemon and spread the "juice" on his fingers so everytime he puts his fingers in his mouth he gets a bitter/sour taste..
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They have finger gaurds that might work. Putting something that has a repelling taste to him might work as well.
    It is normal for toddlers to do that though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He may be cutting molars. Both of my children started putting their fingers in their mouths around that age, and they ended up getting new molars. Maybe give him a cold damp washcloth to chew on.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Duct tape or rope. Kidding...tough one as they will do what they want to do. I think all that you can do is try to keep his hands clean as much as possible. Do a little internet research on the frequent use of hand sanitizer for a toddler his age.
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010