• In the Spotlight:

How long do you brush your toddler's teeth?

And what are some tips on getting them to let you brush? My DD2 is 18 months and hates having her teeth brushed. Here's what I've tried: Letting her do it then me, standing her in front of a mirror so she can watch, letting her brush my teeth, letting her 3 yo sister or her gm do it. She picked out her own toothbrushes. She has 3. I brush them for as long as I can hold her arms down (I HATE doing that but I don't want her to get cavities.) So how long do you brush and how do you do it? TIA.

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 11:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Two minutes, twice a day.

Try giving her a doll or stuffed animal, and you can brush your baby's teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I let them brush first and then I brush their teeth. I probably only brush them for a minute
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I probably only brush for a minute. My daughter doesn't like getting her teeth brushed so now I try to make it fun. I say "oh no there is an elephant dancing on your teeth we need to brush him out of there" or really I just say whatever comes to mind. For some reason she thinks this is funny and will let me brush the elephant, silly goose, crazy frog or whatever;)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son loves having his teeth brushed. I sing that "brusha brusha" song from grease, lol, three times. Once for the bottom teeth, once for the top teeth (the tops of them), and then the third time i get the front and back of his teeth - he'll smile so i can do the front and then laugh and i get behind. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• when she was a toddler, she made it tough for me to, so i would do as much as i could..then i started rewarding her for letting me do it..she got a sticker of she was good..seemed to do the trick..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i let them brush then i brush for 2 minutes
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010