Religion, A BS Story?

how did you come to the realization?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible says not to be religious but seek a relationship with Christ Jesus. Religions not Christianity are what put a black mark on how people thorough the times have perceived God and Jesus. There are church bodies that seek such relationships, some are denominations some not.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 9:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Religion is the opiate of the masses. It is just a way to explain away things that we do not yet understand with science. However, it does give comfort to people. I realize all this and still choose to have a religion. I also realize that all religions are basically the same.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It makes people less fearful of death and gives a reason for all the bad on earth. Also it gives people a way to feel better than others and to live morally. Though I live my life morally and I do not need god to know that is it right.
    Anonymous

• Religion is kind of BS. Some people need the structure and a common ground to relate to others. I don't think it is all BS if it is meeting a real need and the religious person is aware of it. It's like a job, or education, or community service, isn't it? And frankly, it can be a vehicle for all three.

Lately, I realize for me it has become more about doing what other people tell me to do and them getting alot more from it than I do (my money, my time, my loyalty). Yea. That is BS. Anything created by a mere human is selfserving - for good or evil.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Religion is an institution established by man for various reasons. Exert control, instill morality, stroke egos, or whatever it does. Organized, structured religions all but remove god from the equation. You confess your sins to a clergy member, go to elaborate churches to worship, told what to pray and when to pray it. All those factors remove you from god. Spirituality is born in a person and develops in the person. It may be kick started by a religion, or it may be kick started by a revelation. Spirituality extends to all facets of a person’s life. Spirituality is chosen while religion is often times forced. Being spiritual to me is more important and better than being religious.

True spirituality is something that is found deep within oneself. It is your way of loving, accepting and relating to the world and people around you. It cannot be found in a church or by believing in a certain way.
    Anonymous

• Religion is your belief in God or a higher power. I don't think religion is BS because that would mean my life has been BS. I live my life by the teachings of my religion, for the most part. There are some pretty good religious groups on here but if you are more curious check into some churches in your area and see if they have a minister/priest/whatever that can talk to you and counsel you so you can find what fits you best.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I believe spirituality is what you feel inside. Think of it as a "family tree". Spirituality is the beginning, then RELIGION, then DENOMINATION, then your particular church. While you can have spirituality, religion and believe in a particular denomination, the Bible tells us to "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together". I personally need that time w/my church family to spend quality time w/people who believe as I do and are going thru some of the same things I am. I am the only one in my family that attends church regularly so I don't have that connection outside of my church.
    McKinleysMom7

Answer by McKinleysMom7 at 2:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I like how it is put in the Left Behind books - "Religion is man's attempt to reach God. Jesus is God's attempt to reach man" I don't believe in religion. I beleive in having a personal relationship. Here are some differences between religion and a relationship - http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/235918/Freedom_or_Free_dumb
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2008