What do you think of this discipline?

If a child who is 5 years old and UP is disrespectful and rude or refuses to listen or do what is asked to have them run the upstairs x their age ( in other words, up five times, down five times).

A friend gave me this idea for my boys because they are getting older and time outs are not working as well (five and seven year old boys) and taking things away doesn't work as well anymore. They are really good boys, but they still need SOME form of discipline sometimes.

MamaRoberts

Asked by MamaRoberts at 12:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think its a great idea!  My kids have all fallen down the stairs before, by the way. They thought it was a great time & wanted to do it again! I used to have mine run laps around the house before we moved in to this stupid townhouse. It sounds like your kids are alot like mine, in that they really don't need discipline, but sometimes just a little redirection or a reminder of who is in charge of the household! Making them do something like that will let them know that they have expressed poor behavior, but also that you don't want to make them miserable, you just want them to work with you.  Have fun running up & down the stairs with your kids! 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mine would enjoy that to be honest.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My husband does something similar with our son. He will have him run, do push ups, sit ups, etc. It works for him. The only problem I could see is he could get hurt running up and down the stairs (especially a 5 or 6 year old). I already have to get on to my son for running down the stairs, I wouldn't want to encourage it!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it's dangerous to run up and down stairs, my parents made us run around the house. Honestly though the running never really bothered my little brothers, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do you really wanna teach them its ok to run up and down stairs... I don't think its a good idea...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think they might not see it as a punishment...
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• valid point bout the running on stairs. maybe jumping jacks...
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it and would probably use it if I had stairs!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would be too afraid they would get hurt running up and down stairs.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• See I get where she is coming from (if you have enough energy to be rude, then you must need to waste some of that energy on the stairs) but I am not sure that it is right for my house hold.
    MamaRoberts

Comment by MamaRoberts (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2010