If I am to be induced, can I get an epidural before they start pitocin?

Just wondering if that would help or not...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, you have to be so far dilated before you can have an epidural
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• They normally do the epidural at 5-7cm after the contractions start.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you can't. :( you have to be in real active labor to get one. my hospital doesnt allow them until they know that the baby will be out within a couple hours
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no- not till about 3-4cm dilated will they give an epidural, and also i my case i had 2 failed inductions, and got sent home, so till they are 100% sure baby is coming and low enough and dilated enough before they do an epidural
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 12:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no. I was induced, They CAN however give you something for pain intraveinously before the epidural so you don't have to wait
    Bobbysmommy324

Answer by Bobbysmommy324 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it depends on how well the other methods are working before they want to give you the pitocin. They normally don't want to do an epidural too early because they say it can slow things down

I wasn't induced with my last baby but they did want to start pitocin to speed things up since I had long labors before, and after past experience with the damn drug, I told them to give me the epi first & before they broke my water. Which they did. Then I went to sleep and woke up 7am to a nurse saying it was time to have a baby :D greatest birth I've had.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wasn't induced but I had an epidural less than an hour after being admitted once I went into labor and got the pitocin about 8 hours later when I wasn't dialating any further. I must say, both worked like a charm.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You don't want them to do that. An epidural can slow labor. I was induced and received my epidural 2 hours after receiving pitocin, i was dilated to a 5 and had the baby 35 minutes later.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 12:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, you can. When I was induced with my first baby they gave me the epidural before they started the pitocin. I don't know why they did it. I mean, I didn't ASK them to... but they did ... so I know it's possible. Just ask... the worst they can do is tell you no. lol
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, you have to be in active labor before they'll do an epi. I have had 2 inductions and I only "felt" the contractions for an hour or two before I had my epi.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2010