what pain meds can i get before the epidural that won't make me feel drowzy or drunk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good question. My second birth there wasn't a pole available for my epidural (snowstorm births really do happen and crowd hospitals apparently) and whatever they gave me made me drunkily dizzy. i hated it!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I remember that my epidural put me to sleep and I awoke five hours later to deliver my daughter. I just remember hearing something about my heart from the doctor and I passed out. Before that I was in pain, but mostly feeling a ton of pressure.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 12:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• None that I know of. I had nubain and it made me feel like I was stoned. I had a much easier time with my drug free birth.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• There are narcotics they can give you, but a side effect of all narcotics is that they can cause drowsiness - and like with an epidural they can also slow labor. For me, having an epidural speeded up both of my vaginal labors in which I had one.

Answer by missanc at 6:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Why don't you want to have an unmedicated delivery?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Don't panic about the epidural. People psych themselves out because they think of the needle. Once you start feeling contractions - the epidural is really nothing. You'll welcome it. It's really not that bad, over relatively quickly, and makes you feel so much better! You'll be fine. Just try not to think about it.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 6:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wouldn't know. I didn't have time for an epidural with my son. Glad too. I'm planning a home birth with the next one; no pain med options.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 10:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2010