Falling

I feel like such a worrier about this but I am really paranoid about DS getting SBS!

Just last night DS started to try to pull himself up with the couch, he has pretty much just stayed on his knees so far. But twice today he has been standing up against the couch and has been fine... but then he'll fall backwards. Not the trying to caught himself just straight backwards!! I kind of thought that it would be good for him to learn to try to catch himself but when I saw his poor little head bounce when he feel my heart stopped!!! I know it is hard for babies to get SBS from small falls but I am still paranoid that he will and then they'll take him again from me!

What did you do when you're LO started pulling them self's up and falling backwards? I want him to learn but I don't want him to get hurt either. Not sure what I should do!!

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put a pillow behind him? it isnt bad for him to learn. my son scared the crap out of be acouple times too and i think, its never going to stop ? lol. but, i would just use a pillow or something so he dont get hurt.
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son never fell backwards and hit the ground, I would be there to catch him, eventually he learned to lean to the side and fall on his side, like a slight roll, so I let him do that, now he just plops on his butt.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ah... the heart stopping toddler years... You can try to show him how to get back down but he probably won't like the help... I know none of mine did. lol I spent a lot of time on the floor with mine when they were going through this stage. Sooner or later they figure it out... hopefully for you sooner than later. : )
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am really hoping that he does, he's only 8 months old and doing this already!!! That's why I am so worried about this. I was sitting right by him but didn't quit catch him going down soon enough the first time, the second I was doing something else and didn't know he'd pulled himself up that much.
    Jessie1689

Comment by Jessie1689 (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• They can't get SBS from a fall, even that kind. It takes a lot of force and "whiplash" to cause SBS - that's why it's never an "accident". If it were so easy, we would all have brain damaged toddlers, those little heads get knocked around a lot. I learned a lot about the resiliency of the infant brain when my daughter had cranial sugery at 5 months.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son did the exact same thing for a couple weeks but then he learned to fall on his butt. it won't last forever- he will learn eventually!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010